Estación, s/n - 941 30 48 00
C.V.N.E. (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) has been located in the winemaking "Barrio de la Estación" since 1879, when two brothers set up a wine producing company that was to become one of first wineries in La Rioja to carry out the bottling process. Keeping up this pace, ahead of its time, at the end of the 19th century, CVNE purchased the “Malvoisin” pasteuriser in France, a revolutionary machine that positioned the winery among the latest oenological tendencies.
On 16th July 1941 the winemaking building “El Carmen” was inaugurated, the first cement vinification facility in La Rioja, which was widely copied. On 12th October 1989, the “El Pilar” winemaking facility was launched, the first medium-sized non-aggressive vinification resource in the transport of must through stainless steel tanks raised by a crane with no need for gas cylinders or pipes. These are transported to the corresponding tank and the must drops by force of gravity. CVNE was a pioneer in this concept, which is now being used in numerous wineries. In 1981, CVNE carried out the first Riojan fermentation of viura in American oak casks. At the end of the 20th century, CVNE created an innovative system of barrel stacking on shelves, facilitating access to each one, with the possibility of moving them individually, avoiding sudden movements of the wine.
The warehouse has a great architectural legacy which can be appreciated in its "Eiffel cellar", which was a work of the renowned French engineer Gustave Eiffel, who designed the roof of the building early last century. It was a revolution, since the 800 metre building is supported without columns. Since its restoration in 2008, we can see this work in all its splendour.